8th Steam Engine Festival 2016 in Dresden
(Topic: Freight Transport)
The next steam engine festival will take place from 15th to 17th of April in 2016. All preparations are going on well. We are looking forward to seeing you in Dresden (again).
News (2016-04-07): Now all ordered tickets are shipped and should arrive soon.
For quick navigation, please click on one of the following topics:
- Ticket sale (entrance fee, special train tickets, overnight stays etc.)
- Special trains
- Supporting programmes - Area of railway museum
- Supporting programmes - Area of DB Regio
- Supporting programmes - Area of Dresden traffic museum depot
- Supporting programmes - Area of festival street Zwickauer Strasse
- Supporting programmes - General information
- Supporting programmes - Area of Dresden main station
- Time schedule for shuttle busses: main station - museum - main station
- Parking lots and how to find us
8th Dresden Steam Engine Festival (10:00 am - 06:00 pm)
SORRY - THIS EVENT IS ALREADY BOOKED COMPLETELY - FOR RETURNING TICKETS AND POTENTIAL GROUP ACCESS PLEASE CONTACT Reisebüro Maertens
8th Dresden Steam Engine Festival (10:00 am - 06:00 pm)
||8th Dresden Steam Engine Festival (10:00 am - 06:00 pm)
after 07:30 pm evening loco presentation, special fee
The supporting programme
Area of railway museum
(Roundhouse (house 1), turning table and bistro building at the bridge Nossener Brücke)
- Steam loco cab rides
- Model trains
- Presentation of the working steam locomotives
- Projetct presentation about maintenance of our steam crane
- Operations in a steam engine shed
- Bistro with historic furnishing (including bar)
- Presentation room about the history of Dresden-Altstadt depot
- Field train station in the direction of Dresden traffic museum's depot
- Loco evening presentation (Fri & Sun)
- Steam & Dixieland music (Sat)
We are proud to present "Steam & Dixieland" on Saturday. From 7:30 pm until late at night, three reknown Dixieland bands of Dresden are expected to entertain you with high-quality live music in the closest proximity of the steam locomotives in our roundhouse.
Access starting by 7 pm.
Ticket fee EURO 15.00 (please be aware that only 200 tickets are available - so please don't hesitate too long to purchase as many as you intend to)
- Presentation of modern sets of DB
- Modern train and loco maintenance of DB Regio
- Presentation of police and Federal Border Patrol (BGS)
- Presentation of local transport companies: Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe (VVO), DB Regio and Dresdner Verkehrsbetriebe (DVB)
Area of Depot Dresden traffic museum (VMD)
(Zwickauer Strasse, area between Bamberger Strasse and Würzburger Strasse)
- Presentation of vehicles and exhibits which belong to VMD
- Presentation of different associations
- "Echtdampf 5'' ": real driving steam trains on a 5'' gauge
- Presentation of different model railway systems
- Post: Deutsche Post and group of philatelists of "Bahnsozialwerk"
- Old telecommunication technique
- Special presentation about the topic goods transport in Saxony
- Draisine rides
- Field train station in the direction of railway museum
- Bus stop for shuttle busses to Dresden main station
- Presentation of historic trucks
- Event area
Again, like in 2015, we are planning to integrate the street Zwickauer Strasse into the festival area. The street will be closed between street Würzburger Strasse and bridge Nossener Brücke. Between both museum areas (Dresden Traffic museum Depot and Dresden railway museum) there will be a field train to reduce long walking distances.
On the street associations will present their work and dealers will sell goods, e.g. railway equipment, toys or model train equipment.
(Entrance: Zwickauer Strasse under the bridge Nossener Brücke, Bamberger Strasse and Würzburger Strasse)
- Presentation of historic railway vehicles
- Bus stop for the historic shuttle busses to the festival area
- Start and stop of our special trains
Ticket sale for special steam trains has already started at our partners' offices.
As well, advance booking of entrance tickets is already possible at our partners' offices:
(Entrance tickets are valid for the festival area around the railway museum as well as for the Dresden traffic museum (Verkehrsmuseum Dresden) at the Johanneum)
- Reisebüro Maertens (Tel. +49 (0) 351 / 56393930 or online www.eisenbahn-romantik-reisen.de)
(Entrance, Special train tickets, overnight-stays (special offer) in an Ibis hotel close to Dresden main station)
- In the shop of Modellbahn Dresden (Tel. +49 (0) 351 / 40757715)
- Augustustours (www.augustustours.de) Tel.: +49 (0) 351 / 563480
(Travelling offers to Steam engine festival including over-night stays)
- Verkehrsmuseum Dresden (Dresden traffic museum)
For the evening events (Loco presentation on the turn table for photographers and Dixi live music in the roundhouse) there will be tickets available at Reisebüro Maertens. Remaining tickets will be available at the cash counters when they open in the morning.
Price per ride starts at EURO 39,- p.p. (There are rebates for groups ar families)
(subject to modifications, all published data without guarantee, tickets in pre-sale plus pre-sale fee)
The street Zwickauer Straße will be closed along the festival area. There will be no chance to drive through or park your car. Please use the local transport (historic shuttle busses from Dresden main station), bus stop Nossener Brücke (line 61) or bus stop Chemnitzer Strasse (line 62). You can reach our festival area via suburban station Dresden-Plauen (line S3) as well.
A detailled plan you may find >>> here <<<.
If you want to use your own car, please leave your car on Zwickauer Strasse in front of bridge Nossener Brücke (in the direction of Dresden main station) or use the parking lot "Parkhaus Falkenbrunnen" (entrance on Chemnitzer Strasse).
Please take care about children and careless visitors.