S Bahn Logo - Bahn Dresden proudly presents:

Dampf & Dixie (Saturday, April 8th, starting at 7 pm.)

Admission fee: 15,- Euro per person

Tickets are available in >>> advanced booking <<<, possible remaining tickets at our cash desks during the festival.

For the first time the live music event will take place in the roundhouse (House 4) of Dresden Transport Museum. We are very glad to celebrate this event in cooperation with S-Bahn Dresden this year.

 Dixie1

 

Different bands will perform on this evening. Here the planned schedule as well as a short band description:

Entrée
Saxophon Quartett 6:30 – 7:00 pm.

Concert
Bigband Explosion 7:00 – 7:30 pm.
Blue-Dragons-Jazzband 7:45 – 8:30 pm.
Werkstatt BigBand 8:45 – 10:00 pm.
open session 10:00 – 10:30 pm.

Blue-Dragons-Jazzband

Beleive it or not - the Dresden Blue-Dragons-Jazzband exists since 2004 and the youngest member just turned 21. In the last years they have developed from a Teeny band to a well-known Jazz band in the Dresden Dixie music scene, performing on the international Dixieland fastival this year, again.

Bigband Explosion

Although the musicans are still quite young, the Bigband of the Dresden Conservatory Heinrich Schütz regulary inspires the auditions. They participated very successfull on different performances, e.g. at the "Mitteldeutsches Bigbandtreffen", directed by Andreas Reuter.

Werkstatt BigBand

The Werkstatt BigBand Dresden combines the Dresden music student of Dresden Technical University and the College of Music Dresden. Since 2011 they "swing" together, directed by Sebastian Haas. The special thing is, that students are allowed to take over direction of single songs.

Dixie2

Source: http://werkstattbigband.de/

E 77 10, built in 1925, tenderly nicknamed „Elli“
– a special appreciation to celebrate her 90th birthday

(an anniversary text by our colleague Alfred Hobl)

E7710-2

 

Our wonderful historic electric loco E 77 10 had its last general inspection three years ago. On October 4th, 2012, the oldest and – by that time the only – German electric loco with rod drive in active working condition hauled a charter passenger train from Dresden to Eisenach in preparation of the chassis inspection. The next day, Meiningen’s V 100 Diesel locomotive transferred it to the Meiningen heavy repair works. There, E 77 10 – which is owned by DB Museum and under the operative protection of Erzgebirgsbahn – received new wheel tyres at all wheelsets. Additionally, the oil in the transformator has been exchanged and the radio communication and INDUSI installation checked and updated.

 

After an extensive, intense general inspection (which included overhaul and repair of components) this only, still active electric locomotive with rod drive returned to Dresden in December 2013 and was presented at the 6th Dresden Steam Engine Festival with celebration week from April 4th to 13th, 2014, on behalf “175 years of first German wide-range railway Leipzig‑Dresden” in refurbished beauty. Promoting joy to numerous visitors and railway enthusiasts from all over the world, E 77 10 hauled excursion passenger trains through the beautiful Elbe river valley and up the Tharandt’s steep inclination (Tharandter Rampe).

 

Financing was done by IG Bw Dresden-Altstadt – a cordial thank you to all sponsors, donators, supporters and intensely committed colleagues.

 

A special highlight was the semi-public excursion train on May 28th, 2015, to Zwickau via Freiberg, Chemnitz (including parallel driving with electric locomotive 242 001 of MTEG/PRESS) and back. In the next year as well, special trains will be offered with E 77 10 through the beautiful Elbe river valley and up the Tharandt’s steep inclination.

 

Questions & booking:

>>> Reisebüro Maertens <<<, Tel.: 0351 / 56393930

>>> Flügelrad-Touristik <<<

 

In the frame of the 8th Dresden Steam Engine Festival (15.-17.04.2016) with the motto freight service yesterday and today, “our Elli” will be hauling special trains. Further information >>> here <<<.

Our partners around the Steam Engine Festival

db20logo sbp    vmd sbp
  metranstable25  
 ssb sbp    ltb logo sbp
  LDC logo  
 Logo AugustusTours   banner2c sbp
   Maertens  
   

 

 

 

 

 

 

1930 – 2015: Appreciation of 85 years "Schleizer" vehicles

 

On June 28th, 1930 - i.e. 85 years ago - the company "Schleizer Kleinbahn AG" opened its railway line from Schleiz to Saalburg (Saale) in what is today the "Land of Thuringia". The length of this line was 15 kilometers and it served for public transport. The company was a private stock corporation and was subject to the Prussian law for local railroads ("Preußisches Kleinbahngesetz") of 1892. It had been founded in 1927 and should as well serve for the transport of construction materials for the erection of a large hydro dam (the "Bleiloch" barrage). For this reason, a branch line of 2.4 km length was laid from the station of Gräfenwarth to the dam. The historic residential city of Schleiz had been connected to the residual railroad network since 1887 via the branch line from Schönberg, positioned at the Saxonian DW main line (Dresden-Werdau). According to the availability of electric power from the dammed lake and based on the local legal conditions the line should be operated electrically. People decided for overhead wiring and DC 1200 V, which was initially installed on the trunk line only. The branch was operated by a T93 2-6-0 tank engine owned by the consortium of the construction companies of the dam. Lateron, this branch was electrified as well and passenger services to the dam were inaugurated on May 15, 1932.

After WW II, the line was taken over by Deutsche Reichsbahn of GDR on April 1st, 1949. Electric operation with the "inherited" vehicles was continued until May 31st, 1969, when extensive restoration measures were due. Diesel vehicles took over, above all the light railcars of classes 171 and 172 and loco-hauled trains with V100. Deutsche Bahn AG held these operations upright but abandoned them on June 1st, 1996, and shut down the line. Sadly, none of the efforts to revitalize the lines in the consecutive years were successful.

Not all of the characteristic electric vehicles of the original equipment were scrapped. At least the passenger electric railcar ET 188 511, the passenger electric trailer EB 188 514 and the freight electric railcar ET 188 521 were used in other modes since 1972:

- ET 188 511 as a technical service car in the depot in Reichenbach,

- EB 188 514 as a technical service car in the branch depot in Adorf (belonging to the depot in Reichenbach),

- ET 188 521 as a workshop vehicle.

Several members of the railroad depot in Dresden visited the freight railcar in 1990 after it had been re-discovered and identified on occasion. Shortly later, the other two vehicles were re-discovered as well.

After passing numerous "bureaucratic barriers", with intense personal efforts and in a very skilled manner, they refurbished the three vehicles in top condition and present them in the museum depot of Dresden-Altstadt ever since.
 

 

Dr. Christof Schröfl, based on archive data of IG Bw Dresden-Altstadt e.V. and provided by Alfred Hobl
February 2015